Dress Code Benefits

Back to Article
Back to Article

Dress Code Benefits

Isabel Bravo, Staff Writer

Are student dress codes only enforced in schools for evil? Students and school administrators are conflicted about this issue and have many opposing views on what students should wear during the school day. Student dress codes should be enforced in schools everywhere because they cause distractions, they’re not appropriate, and students are still allowed to choose what they want to wear.

Students are allowed to plan and wear whatever they please to school. Kathleen Mader, a middle school and high school teacher, says that when she advises students to dress modestly it’s not because of what others may think about the outfit but simply because it “sets a tone that school is a place to learn”. It’s understandable to believe from what you choose to wear others will have thoughts about it, the dress code prevents that from happening.

Clothes nowadays are being sold in stores either highly cropped to show midriff or ripped which don’t give kids a lot of options to wear to school. The Memorial High School handbook states that sagging pants, tube tops, spaghetti straps, body jewelry, pajamas, and many more rules applied are not allowed to be worn on campus.

Student dress codes offer great aspects to students that are attending school due to the fact that they cause distractions, they’re not appropriate, they give students the opportunity to dress in whatever they want. In conclusion, student dress codes are being enforced for the greater good.