Limited Phone Use

Back to Article
Back to Article

Limited Phone Use

Nathan Ocloo, Staff Writer

How often do you use your phone? Many students complain about the limitations of phone usage at school. To some, it may seem as though our schools are being oppressive. It’s about time the reduction of phone use enters the limelight. There are many benefits of it that go unseen.

With the way technology runs rampant in our society, it’s not unusual to see someone with a cellular device. Adolescents, especially, use the devices often. Phones have become part of their lives and generally where all their “socializing” happens. They spend all day on them and this activity carries on into class. School is a learning environment and phones easily distract students. Not only are phones a distraction, but they also tempt the student into cheating. Which in actuality is harming the student more than helping. According to Rutgers University, “students with devices scored 5% or even half a grade lower than their peers without phones”.

Some may argue that the phones are useful tools and that schools have no right to restrict its use. Phones do help with a lot but students will get sidetracked and deviate from their assignment. Limited phone use allows students to still use their phones while avoiding tampering with their grades and other students.