Stuck At The Starting Line: Getting Teens Back On The Road

All over the nation countless cars crowd the streets. Each with their own objective. With every car there are drivers seeking their destination. Beforehand, everyone must learn the importance and laws of driving though. With our busy schedules, teens should be proactive and pursue their license.

In 2017, 17,099,340 licensed drivers were recorded in the state of Texas alone per ©️ Statista; that’s a little more than 60% of the population driving. With the way our country is always pressing on into the technological frontier, it’s not surprising to see those numbers. Only 71% percent of high school seniors have their license, according to a survey done by Wired. That’s the lowest it has been in decades. So why are student avoiding the road?

When students spend 7+ hours at school, they get tired quick. On top of that, all the work they’ve done at school, students will go on to attend their afterschool activities, do their homework, and finally take care of their wellbeing as well as working around the house. With a stacked schedule like that it would be hard to practice.

In this country nothing comes free and that includes driving. The cost of purchasing a car and constantly buying gas will deplete the money of students. Some may have jobs, some may not. The financial stability of a student plays a huge role in driving. A student might have to sacrifice more than a couple hours trying to afford the cost of such things.

Learning to drive is also part of the problem. Students are often distracted easily once they get on the road. When they’re on their phones or talking, their full attention is not on the road and that makes it hard for them to improve their performance. A lack of confidence is also to blame. Some student will get on a road and overreact in a situation or will tense up. They need some help.

So how will student overcome this dilemma? The student will have to work and sacrifice their free time but doesn’t mean they’ll be alone. Parents should be supporting their child as much as possible. Schools should do the same; they should be willing to start a driver’s Ed program at their institution. These are all ways we could get students back on the road.