Inside Independent Study and Mentorship

What if you had the opportunity to gain real-world experience in the future career field of your choice? Well this is exactly what FISD’s Independent Study and Mentorship (ISM) program offers eager to learn students.

According to friscoisd.org, “ISM is an exciting, rigorous elective offered at Frisco ISD high schools” and is designed for upperclassmen who wish to go above and beyond. Students who wish to participate in the course must complete the application progress to get accepted into the program. From there, students are given the opportunity to mentor in their chosen area of study for a year and gain real-world experience. Only a certain kind of student can be chosen for this program, and they must be trustworthy, mature, and grateful for the leadership their mentor will provide along with resources. 

Students are expected to be prepared for intense research, topic-related product development, and original idea generation. Students must go through a rigorous interview process to be accepted into the program. “We work with students to help build a foundation from a professionalism standpoint, and business etiquette. They learn how to interview and also be interviewed” say Mr. Pirtle, the teacher for ISM at Memorial. 

Last night, on Wednesday, January 15th, at The Star, students presented their study thus far of the career field of their choice. Over this upcoming spring semester, students will work hands-on with their mentor to develop an original product. “The winter showcase is an opportunity for students to display the work that they’ve done over the course of the fall semester,” says Pirtle, “they interact with professionals, they interact with frisco administrative staff and different business leaders to share with them what their journey has been in ISM. It serves as a kind of a catalyst to really help motivate and encourage them in their continued path because they get so much positive feedback… people were just amazed at the caliber of students that are in the Independent Study Program.”