Frisco ISD Students Get Free Meals for the School Year

Frisco ISD schools help students who can’t pay or pick up lunches due to the pandemic. By giving students free meals “to go” for the whole 2020-2021 school year.

All Frisco ISD students and any non-Frisco ISD students are able to participate in this program. There is a week’s worth of breakfast and lunch that are distributed once a week at one of the District’s drive-thru locations.

“School lunch is critical to student health and well-being, especially for low-income students—and ensures that students have the nutrition they need throughout the day to learn, says the FRAC (Food Research and Action Center).

Students attending schools for face-two-face will receive free meals at campus when they select a meal. However, because of USDA regulations, every student is only allowed one breakfast and lunch per day, meaning that meals may not be picked up because students are already receiving free meals from the school cafeteria.

“Any school, district, or group of schools with 40 percent or more “identified students” may use

community eligibility” says FRAC (Food Research and Action Center). 

If a student goes to the school campus they don’t need to sign up for free meals, because all meals are free to the students. But school cafes will offer items or products to purchase, like snacks.

“No action or sign-up is required in order for on-campus students to receive free meals during the waiver period,” says FISD regarding who can be in the program.

Students that have virtual learning will pick up their meals every Thursday at these following locations and times with their school IDs and other identification papers to pick up:

• 8:30-9:30 AM: Early Childhood School, 10330 Red Cedar Drive, Frisco, TX, 75035
  • 9-10 AM: Clark Middle School, 4600 Colby Drive, Frisco, TX, 75035
  • 9-10 AM: Cobb Middle School, 9400 Teel Parkway, Frisco, TX, 75033

“Children must either be present or student ID numbers or proof of guardianship is required,” says FISD for what students or parents need to pick up meals.

Parents participating in this program will be reminded to be cautious when picking up meals, due to students present in the schools. In addition, parents will only be able to pick up during those times, so that they won’t interfere with the morning arrival of face-to-face students on campus.

The USDA says that “Under this waiver, program operators in a state with an approved waiver allowing non-congregate meal distribution during COVID–19-related operations may distribute meals to a parent or guardian to take home to their children. However, state agencies must have a plan for ensuring that program operators are able to maintain accountability and program integrity.”

Frisco ISD is working on a plan to make it more safe and efficient for parents and students to pick up. They are hoping this plan and process for picking up meals is sufficient enough for participants to feel safe from getting the coronavirus

“We want children to be fed that need to be fed. That is the first and foremost priority. We have said this is not the time for arguing or holding back meals. Provide the meals,” says spokesman Mark Loeffler in an emailed statement.