Advice for Future Journalism Students

As a freshman, I thought that journalism would fall into any other tech credit slot. That is to say, it was something that had to be completed and would require tedious effort. However as a senior who has the privilege of boasting four years of journalism classes under my belt, nothing could have been further from the truth. Newspapers have been the highlight of my high school education. It has been the light in some otherwise very dark and downcast days; what I have looked forward to when otherwise exhausted. I am not unique in this. If you are lucky enough to choose this class, you will fall in love with the subject the way many before you have.

• Appreciate the importance of journalism: It might seem like any other high school course, but freedom of press is a staple of democracy. Know that what you do in here is important what you are being prepared for is even more so
  • Take pride in what you write: Your articles might not be the talk of the campus but that doesn’t mean they are any less pride-worthy. Don’t value your stories based on their popularity, value it on the effort and passion you put into it
  • Become an expert on what you’re talking about: The path of writing a quick article with a copy-and-pasted Google definition may be tempting, but it never produces as strong a story rich in research will. Studying the subject you are writing about will leave your reader with a lasting impression, in addition to making you more knowledgeable in the process.
  • Don’t be afraid to write outside your comfort zone: Not every article needs to be about the Friday night football game or the latest news taken from the Frisco ISD website. Sometimes the best story can only be found outside campus through an interview with a third party or by capturing a news-worthy event. 

• Some advice I can offer when entering journalism is to use the AP style book when writing your articles as not only would your teacher think you using it takes  initiative, but it will have everything you need when producing a story as sometimes you might think you know what is needed but journalism writing vs what you learned in English class have entirely different requirements.

• Do not be afraid to write something you’re passionate about: You will have the opportunity to be a voice for the school and its activities, and what’s happening around campus that is timely but you will also have a bit of yourself and your interests and what’s important to you as well which is just as needed when writing for the Shield.